Cesar E. Chavez Commemorative Program
We are proud to announce that this is the 12th year that El Concilio de Fresno, Inc. (El Concilio) and Cesar E. Chavez Education Center have collaborated through the Cesar E. Chavez Day Planning Committee to conduct a commemorative program that honors the achievements of the late Cesar E. Chavez. All acitivities are directed to the educational advancement, understanding and improvement of the students at both the Fresno Adult School and those in the Fresno Unified School District (FUSD). This event has proven to be a significant cultural event that honors the culture of the largest percentage of students in the District. Participation at this major event continues to grow with over 1300 students and community members in attendance.
The commemorative program consists of eight major components focusing on activities related to and honoring the legacy of Cesar E. Chavez, they are:
- An in-service workshop for middle and high school teachers, adult school faculty and campus cultural directors. Workshop focuses upon the parameters of the selected essay topic.
- An essay contest in which FUSD and Fresno County School students participate by developing an essay on the life and work of Cesar E. Chavez. Nine (9) essay winner prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place in middle, high, and adult levels. Prizes will be in the amounts of $125, $75 and $50, respectively. Winners, along with their teachers, are awarded their prizes along with a certificate at the Cesar E. Chavez Commemorative Program held at the Saroyan Theatre in Fresno, California.
- Free and open to the public are culminating activities at the Saroyan Theatre to include:
- Cultural entertainment performed predominately by District school groups
- Recognition of essay winners, wth a motivational presentation by a featured speaker
- Cash awards and certificates to the nine (9) essay contest winners
- Recognition awards of teachers whose students were first prize winners
- Symbolic farm worker march of eight (8) blocks from the Saroyan Theatre to the adult school campus. The march includes regalia such as placards, small and large flags related to the farmworker struggle for civil rights as well as educational themes also displayed for students
- Garlanding ceremony of the bust and pedestal of Cesar E. Chavez (which is in the foyer of the adult school) to complete the annual commemoration activities. Students, faculty, staff and members of the community participate in this moving ceremony.
- Display of large banners (53" x 33") which depict farm worker themes mounted at the Cesar E. Chavez Adult Education Center foyer, during the months of March and April
- Collection of George Ballis photographs (8" x 11" and 11" x 16") depicting the farmworker movement from 1965 - 1985 are exhibited in the Cesar E. Chavez Adult Education Center foyer, again during the monthes of March and April.
- Display of ten (10) large banners at Fresno City Hall which depict farmworker themes.
Cesar E. Chavez Day is the culmination of nearly year-round planning by a dedicated group of indivduals who have unselfishly given their time and effort to realize this special day.